Monday, 12 November 2012

Why it went downhill.

As in the previous post i mentioned that on J's birthday whilst she had fun my day went downhill, and here's why.

J's birthday was on a Monday and over the previous weekend I had noticed something odd with my right eye and me being me didn't think too much of it so carried on.  I was in the office on Monday morning (the home one, not the Reading one) and thought this is silly why not just visit the optician, so I google the number of a local one that looks pretty good, Steven Harris Opticians in Locksbottom, the friendly receptionist advised that the next free appointment was the following Saturday however she then said if I could come in 20 minutes time Mr Harris was free and would see me himself, I duly agreed.

So up I drive to Locksbottom which is about 5 minutes from us and park up and walk into the optician which is on the High Street, I then give a few details and take a seat.  I get called and go into the eye test area.  I'm asked why I'm there and explain and give the reason as 'I'm getting older and can't see as clearly out of my right eye as I used to so probably need glasses'.  I'm run through a number of tests on my left eye which I pass fairly easier and am told my vision is pretty much perfect, I'm pretty pleased as this is probably my first optician visit for over 25 years, however the same can't be said for my right eye as nothing really seems to enable me to see correctly.  After lots of looking I'm advised to go the eye accident and emergency as Queen Mary's Hospital in Sidcup.  I'm written a letter to take with me and after paying the test fee (£30 which seems reasonable) I head home to tell the family.

I arrived home and said to Lisa that the optician couldn't figure out was was wrong and he advised a visit to the eye A&E so we head there straight away.  Upon arrival it's reasonably busy as expected however we are seen pretty quickly for initial assessment.  The nurse does a few simple eye chart tests and then checks my blood pressure.  It was high and she advised I visited my doctor about it and wrote me a letter to take with me for explanation.  She also said that the eye doctors books were pretty busy and could we go back after lunch at 1415.  We headed home for lunch.

We arrive back at about 1350 and are directed into a busy room and take the 2 last seats.  However weather it's because we had came earlier or my case was possibly something different for them I get called first.  I'm called by a fy nice doctor who initially comments on the blood pressure however quickly progresses to checking my eye out.  He seems at first to be fairly not concerned about the blood pressure and suggested that whilst he was working in eye clinic he could prescribe me something for the high pressure however he would prefer it if my GP did it.....fine.

So he does quite a few tests including putting drops in my eye which makes me looks like a scared cat that enabled him to look quite closely at the eye internals.  I'm then sent back to the waiting room for about the 7th time, it appears that my case has interested them.  I'm then called back in to see a consultant who again looks in my eyes, says a few things and gets the previous guy to look again for experience.  The consultant whilst clearly having my best interest at heart doesn't quite seem as cheerful or casual as the previous doctor.  He then comments on my blood pressure which little do I know yet and won't find out for a while is most likely the cause of my blurry vision.  He says that really my blood pressure needs to sorted before any eye treatment could happen as it's really really high.  I get sent back to the waiting room again.

After about 15 minutes I'm called back into the clinic again and advised that they have booked me to see somebody at Princess Royal University Hospital (PRUH).  They suggest popping home to pick up an overnight back as I may need to stay but to get there as quick as I can.  Slight concerned now we head home.  They have also given me a whole host of notes and a letter which they say will allow me to bypass waiting in A & E again and I should therefore be seeing the doctor as soon as I arrive.  I thank them and head home.

I pack a back with a few bits and pieces and head to PRUH.

No comments:

Post a Comment