Tuesday, 10 January 2017

Check this out!

Well, a customer trip to Coventry this morning which is my 3rd day of driving for work.

Day 1 - Friday 6th Jan - I drove as I needed to leave after lunch as I was picking the little one up from school and it's easier to go directly from work to school.

Day 2 - Monday 9th Jan  - I drove as there was a tube strike plus I needed to be in the office at 0645 due to some power problems in the Park Royal area on Friday which resulted in a 2.5 hour power outage.

Day 3 - Tuesday 10th Jan - A customer trip to Coventry necessitated me driving as I didn't want to catch the train as I had quite a few calls to make and it was easier in the car as it's the day for our bi-weekly global operations call which generally takes approximately 2 hours.

So, I was in Coventry reasonably early and the easiest landmark near to where we were meeting was an small retail outlet where parking was super-easy, however the only obvious place for a coffee was a Burger King.  When ordering the coffee's I was looking down the regular menu and noticed that one of the items was super high calorie.  It was a Triple Whopper which I assume if 3 burgers in a bun with cheese etc.  Now on it's own, as you can see below, weighs in a 1070 calories which is pretty high for a single meal however swap it into a regular meal deal which I assume adds fries and a drink and it jumps to a pretty high 1510 calories.  I imagine when you order this they ask if you want to make it large meal which I guess must add around 200ish extra calories.  That's just over 1700 calories in a single meal.  Now I'm sure we've all had meals like this maybe at Burger King or elsewhere however I'd imagine that eating here would be the exception rather than the rule but I would think there are people that eat this on a more regular basis along with their other 2 meals plus snacks in a day.  This must mean that their calorie intake is pretty high and needs some adjustment back to a more level playing field.  It's good that Burger King, McDonalds display the calories and I notice that both Starbucks and Costa do too on their cakes etc. which if you take a look can add up pretty quickly too, however I wonder how many people really talk notice of them.
I'm sitting in Starbucks now and I often fancy something however when I look I notice that most of the items are pretty high and actually one of the lowest is a plain or almond croissant surprisingly.  I must admit I sometimes grab the Amoretto biscuit or whatever they are, they are usually by the cash register in a glass jar.  I don't feel too bad about this as generally I drink a black coffee or tea, or if I'm splashing out I'll have a kids size skinny hot chocolate which is more than enough as some of the cup sizes in both Costa and Starbucks is ridiculous.  I think that there are drinks combinations that can be over 1000 cal.

Burger King Menu

Check the 3rd item

On may way back I was stuck in some traffic on one of the bridges crossing the Thames and shaped a few images looking west as the sun was setting or nearly set.

Looking west from one of the bridges crossing the Thames 
Looking west from one of the bridges crossing the Thames

No comments:

Post a Comment